ELockport has the full copy of Mayor Tucker's 2012 State of the City Address in PDF form and both the Buffalo News and LUSJ reported on it.
The good news:
- The city is in a relatively good financial state with a high bond rating.
- The new privatized garbage and refuse system is saving money and working well
- Tourism is up.
- Online bill payment coming soon
- All 5 union contracts are up and pension and healthcare cost are steeply rising.
- Taxes still relatively high
- No real residential or overall income growth.
- Housing stock becoming more and more outdated every passing year.
- Parks and Highway still starved to provide sufficient infrastructure maintenance
As nice as the Tourism Task Force is, more important would be a Residential Investment Task Force. Residential dollars are here year round, they create semi-permanent investment in rehabilitating housing stock which increases the overall valuation of the city. Their investment also makes the city look better to the eyes of the tourist.
The city has done a great job putting out the budgetary fires. This can only last so long and will only be made more fire-proof by attracting long term investment in the city.